Playlisting (and verbifying) again. Here comes my current RAWK! playlist. As ever, subject to change at a moment’s whim.
- "Rattlesnake" by Live (Secret Samadhi)
- "Naked" by Extreme (Waiting For The Punchline)
- "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (Texas Flood)
- "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Jimi Hedrix Experience (Electric Ladyland)
- "Slow Down Blues" by Joe Satriani (Joe Satriani)
- "(I Just) Died In Your Arms" by Cutting Crew
- "Hotel California" by The Eagles (Hotel California)
- "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses (Appetite For Destruction)
- "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen (A Night At The Opera)
- "Naked" by Reef (Replenish)
Plenty of guitar heroism here. Nuno Bettencourt (of Extreme) is a long-time favourite, and “Naked” is just great - smooth and hard at turns. And we’d be nowhere without SRV. Nowhere at all. I first thought of “Lenny”, but it was too gentle. We could have had almost anything by Jimi… “Hotel California” was an early inspiration, and it’s still makes me wish I could play lead guitar. But I can’t. Similarly, “Sweet Child…” must be included, because to do otherwise is just wrong. Note the absence of “Stairway…”, though — I have my pride (!). Actually, there are more classics here than I expected.
You’ll have to forgive me Cutting Crew, as I’m a long-time lover of the guitar work on this track.
And, of course, an honourable mention goes to this kid.